Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Fresh or Pre-packaged?

You know, a lot of people think I eat gourmet because I make every dish fresh and vary my ingredients. Well, I look at it this way - I would rather eat dishes made with fresh ingredients than to get pre-made or fast-food dishes. Why, you might ask? By going fresh - you know what is in there. There are no preservatives, no added sugar, like high-fructose corn syrup, no added salt, no added fats.

Only heart-healthy goodness.

For example, the menu for this week and next consists of - 2 salads = asparagus slaw and 3-bean salad, meat patties with cheese and steamed fish and veggies. The asparagus slaw has asparagus, red & white cabbage and carrots in it, while the 3-bean salad has 3 types of beans, artichoke hearts, capers and onions in it. The meat patties are made from equals parts of veal, turkey and lean beef and will have a filling of goat cheese.

The steamed fish and veggies are just that - simple dishes.

The cost for the items for the salads and patties ran me $53.00. That is cheap in today's prices, yet still allows me to eat healthy.

So my menu is this:
BK = 2 slices of whole wheat bread w/ a slice of cheese / de-caf coffee w/ fat-free milk
L = 1/2 cup salad w/ 1 pattie, 1/2 cup no-sugar added apple sauce, water w/ lemon
D = 1 steamed fish filet w/ 1 cup steamed veggies, 4 oz. wine

Simple, yet I get a variety of servings in each meal.

So am I eating gourmet? Call it gourmet if you want. I call it delicious and different. Why be boring? Why be plain? Spice up your life. Have fun!!!

Comments welcome.

No comments: