Friday, January 25, 2008

pain, learning, misery .............. humour

As I heard someone say on a Holmes on Homes Show:

"The pain is necessary in the learning process. It's the misery process that's optional. So we're trying to keep a sense of humour about this but we at the same time have learned a lot about what not to do and what we need to do."

What I mean on "pain" here with diabetes is "controlling" the BG level.  Taking a reading just once a day, does not give you the knowledge you need to make your BG levels where they should be.  I am slowly learning this and making my new diet accordingly. This all takes practice; and I mean daily practice. I cannot let my guard down for one day or for one meal, as my sugar may go up higher than I want or lower than I want. For me right now means writing down what I eat, how much I eat, what my BG is at the meal (before or after or both) and then make adjustments accordingly to bring my BG to where it needs to be. All this is not easy at first, but it does get easier slowly as I go along this new "yellow brick road."

No comments: